Recently I found myself in a funk. How can a happy-go-lucky and everything is popping up roses kind of Working Mom like me get stuck? I guess it happens to everyone.
Sometimes we just get in our own way and it’s hard to move.
What did I do about it? I got coached.
Sometimes problems or challenges feel bigger than us, like a big boulder. Life moves so fast that it’s very easy to put off breaking down or moving that boulder.
Thoughts like “The answer will come to me later.” or “Things will work themselves out.” or “I have too many other “important” things that need my attention right now.” may come to mind.
These thoughts can feel so right that you walk away from the boulder.
This mentality doesn’t work for me anymore. I don’t want to wait. I know the price of waiting.
Procrastinating will cause anxiety, worry, or anger. If I ignore what I want I know I’m ignoring something that will cause me happiness. If I feel resistance I know it’s something I’m meant to start working on.
I just need to find courage.
Coaching gave me the courage I needed to break down my boulder. Here’s what I got from it:
- Hope. We discovered many different perspectives to choose from. I now have choices I was unaware of! The boulder can be moved!
- Time. The act of being coached gave me a specific time to tackle life’s boulders. It rescued me from procrastination. It gave me more time to use on my new plan.
- Focus. I got the opportunity to stop and focus on myself. I’m busy running my family and business so it was a breath of fresh air to focus on running my life.
- Feelings. I manage my Mommy Energy and emotions well, but sometimes life gets in the way. Being coached gave me the space to truly feel all my emotions. Perhaps we feel that feeling emotions may hurt so we put it off, but if we allow ourselves to feel there’s freedom on the other side.
- Results. Freedom from the boulder has unveiled a new path I’m excited to take. Courage and happiness from an action plan we created will propel me down my new path and results WILL occur.
Coaching left me feeling like the weight of that boulder has been lifted off my shoulders.
Would I have figured all this out on my own? Maybe?
But I know that coaching helps me get the answers I’m searching for quicker.
That’s what I need in my life right now. I don’t want to settle and wait. I need to get things done and done right. I’m worth that.
Now I want to hear from you!
What boulders are blocking your way? What are you afraid of? What would you like to have the courage to do? Tell me all about it over on my Facebook page or feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Elizabeth McGrory
Working Moms Expert